Hello everyone! Today we will discuss about an abstract part of Html! It can be hard to understand at the beginning but you will quickly get the feel of it and discover the power of meta tags!
Meta tags are tags from the HTML language and go into the <head></head> tags. They are very interesting because they have nothing to do with what appears on your website. It is more about giving information about your website to search engines than anything else. You can do lots of different things with them and they are all optional!
Meta tags are mainly used for SEO but you can also use them to give other types of information to search engines. Today we generally use meta tags to give a description about your website when your link appears on the search results and to give keywords about your website to search engines. Although it is mainly used for SEO, there are a lot of different meta tags and we will not go into detail about all of them in this post. I will only give you an overview of the most important ones. I might talk about more abstract tags in future posts.
Some of the most important meta tags:
- <meta name=”description” content=”text“> => This is the description that will appear under your link in the search results.
- <meta name=”keywords” content=”words“> => These are the keywords that represent your website. Separate them with a coma and do not put more than 10 (it could be sanctioned by search engines).
- <title>text</title> => This is the clickable text right above your link in search results.
- <meta name=”language” content=”language“> => This tag tells the search engines what language your website is in. You would replace the “language” in content by the language of your website.
- <meta name=”web_author” content=”text“> => This tag is used to tell the name of the company that created your website.
- <meta name=”robots” content=”selection“> => This tag tells search engines how many pages of your website you want their spiders to index. I will go into more detail about search engine spiders in a future post. Stay tuned!
These are some of the most used meta tags. There are other very relevant ones but more complicated. I just wanted to give you an overview but I will post future articles about these more abstract meta tags! Don’t hesitate to follow the blog if you learnt something in this post!